Need to know how much it will cost to register your vehicle? You can estimate your fees by using this online calculator. Be sure to enter the original MSRP (usually different from the purchase price). Please note that we cannot estimate registration fees over the phone or by email.
If you are new to Colorado or recently purchased a car or truck that you need to register, you can download these PDF checklists to get you started.
If you plan to co-own your vehicle, be sure to apply for Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship. This will prevent your vehicle from going to probate court if one of the owners dies.
Temporary permits are good for 60 days from the date of purchase. This allows time for title paperwork to be completed and for the vehicle to have an emissions test, if required.
When you purchase a vehicle from a dealership, they will issue a temporary permit. If you purchase from a private party, you may visit one of our offices to request a temporary permit.
A lost or destroyed Colorado registration can be replaced for a $4.00 fee online, in-person, or by mail.
To apply online or in-person, you will need:
- Secure and Verifiable ID
- $4.00 fee
- License plate number
To apply by mail, you will need:
- A completed Duplicate Registration Form
- A photocopy of Secure and Verifiable ID
- $4.00 fee paid by check or cash
If the license plate number is not known, you will also need:
- Model year of vehicle
- Make of vehicle
- Vehicle identification number
Vehicle identification number (VIN) inspections are required for the following:
- New residents
- Newly purchased vehicles with out-of-state titles
- Title corrections
Our offices offer VIN inspections for a $20 fee. Find other certified VIN inspectors, locations, and hours.
If you are registering a heavy vehicle, you may need a certified weight slip. A weight slip is required for the following:
- If your vehicle has been modified more than 300 pounds and the new weight is not listed on the title
- Used buses that are being registered in Colorado for the first time
- A vehicle that is being converted into a motor home
- You would like to update the current weight on an existing title
- If determined it is required by a certified VIN inspector
- Contact us if you have questions about your specific circumstance
Many private companies (such as Pioneer Sand – locations in Boulder, Longmont, & Broomfield) can weigh your vehicle and provide a certified weight slip. If you are registering a motor home, bus, or trailer, you may also contact us first to see if we can look up your vehicle’s weight for you.
Farm trucks require a special registration application. Requirements:
- Vehicle registered to land that is zoned as agricultural for property tax purposes
- Truck is only used for agricultural purposes
Farm trucks are exempt from emissions requirements.