SMM equipment must be registered as soon as it goes to work in a for-hire capacity in the State of Colorado. If the SMM will be in Boulder County longer than 11 months, you must register it at one of our three MV branch locations.
In order to register and/or title heavy equipment or Special Mobile Machinery (SMM) in Boulder County, the following documentation is required:
- Secure & Verifiable ID for the new owner
- Bill of Sale
- Equipment Invoice
- Serial Number for the Unit (if not listed on the Bill of Sale or Equipment Invoice)
- Affidavit of Ownership
- Vehicle Title – must be properly endorsed by previous owner
- Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)
Out-of-state SMM equipment:
- Most SMM equipment must be registered immediately upon entry to the State of Colorado.
- Registration options for SMM equipment are available as SMM off-highway decals or on-highway plates.
- If SMM is contacted at the Port of Entry and there is no proof of registration or taxation, it will be detained until proof is presented.
- Please see the Colorado State Patrol website for more information on Port of Entry requirements.