Stage 1 fire restrictions, enacted for unincorporated areas of western Boulder County.

Child Support Services
Mom and 2 daughters

Child Support Services

The Colorado Child Support Services (CSS) Program oversees the state’s child support system. Individual child support orders are managed by Colorado’s county child support offices. Boulder County Child Support Services provides supports for custodial and non-custodial parents, with an emphasis on working with paying parents so they can support their children rather than focusing on punitive approaches.

You can find many helpful services on the CSS website including:

If you need help enforcing your child support order but don’t know where the non-custodial party lives, we can try to help locate them. Our office uses a number of tools and resources in attempting to locate a non-custodial parent. For suggestions on locating non-custodial parties go to the State of Colorado’s Child Support Website

Establishing Paternity

Before establishing a child support order, paternity must be determined. If a child is not born as a result of a legal marriage, it may be necessary to establish paternity in a legal proceeding. Paternity is established through:

  • Acknowledgment of paternity – In this case, the man named as the father of the child agrees to sign an official form stating he is the father. At the time of birth, the father can sign the form. Acknowledging paternity may make court involvement unnecessary.
  • Legal establishment of paternity – If the man named as the child’s father by the mother denies the relationship, or if the mother is unsure who the father is, the county can conduct genetic testing. The court can then review the genetic test results, determine whether or not the named man is the child’s father, and -if appropriate- decide on an appropriate child support order.

Additional information on paternity establishment is available on the State of Colorado’s Child Support Website.

How long does it take?

Completing the application will take approximately 30 minutes. You will also need to gather additional documentation such as birth certificates and Social Security cards for your child or children, copies of court orders, and proof of your income to submit with your application. Once we receive a complete application, we open the case within 20 business days.

Legal processes, such as establishing paternity and/or establishing an order can take several months. If you already have a Support Order we will begin enforcing more quickly.
Please provide complete information both with your application and when requested by your technician so we can help you most effectively.

How is a Support Order made?

An order can be made by our office in one of two ways:

  • Administrative Process Action (APA): This is an expedited legal procedure. An administrative hearings officer in our office may conduct a meeting to establish the order. An agreement made between the parents has the same effect as one established in court. It is legally binding on the parties concerned.
  • Orders obtained by Judicial Action: A judge or magistrate conducts the hearing in court and will decide whether to issue a support order. Both parties will be required to appear before the court and provide proof of their income and expenses.
Colorado Child Support Guidelines are used to determine the amount ordered. The State of Colorado Child Support website has detailed information on the guidelines as well as links to the actual worksheets and instructions for using them.

How are Child Support Orders enforced and collected?


Actions we use to enforce payment of a child support obligation include:

  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Professional license suspension
  • Recreational license suspension (hunting or fishing licenses)
  • Legal contempt of Court proceedings

Payment collection options include:

  • Wage Withholdings
  • Intercepting State or Federal income tax returns
  • Garnishment of unemployment compensation benefits or workers compensation
  • Intercepting Lottery winnings
  • Automatic monthly payments deducted from a bank account.

What if a parent lives out-of-state?

If the non-custodial parent lives in another state and the custodial parent lives in Colorado:

  • We can request assistance with enforcement from another state if we verify that the non-custodial parent lives there and wage withholding is not an option.

If the non-custodial parent lives in Colorado and the custodial parent lives in another state:

  • We can enforce a Court Order at the request of the state where the custodial parent is living.
  • We can enforce a Court Order if it was established here and the custodial parent applies for services.
Time frames for an interstate case are different if there are two child support agencies involved, not just one.

More information regarding interstate child support enforcement may be found at the Colorado State Child Support website.

How do I make payments?

If you have received a payment coupon, checks or money orders should be made out to “Family Support Registry” and mailed to:

Family Support Registry
P.O. Box 2171
Denver, Colorado 80201-2171

If you do not have a payment coupon, put your Family Support Registry (FSR) account number on your check or money order for the payment to be credited correctly. You can find your FSR account number by calling 1-800-374-6558.

Automatic payments can be set-up by requesting a recurring automatic withdrawal by calling 1-800-374-6558.

Your child support payment can also be deducted from your paycheck. To provide your employer information for voluntary wage withholding, call your technician or contact Boulder County Child Support Services at 303-441-1000.

More detailed information about the Family Support Registry and available payment distribution options may be found on the Colorado Division of Child Support Services website.

How do I receive payments?

All payments are processed by the Family Support Registry (FSR), a state agency that tracks payments and distributes them to custodial parties.
Payments are sent via check in the mail to you or by direct deposit or placed on an FSR debit card.

More detailed information about the Family Support Registry and available payment distribution options may be found on the Colorado Division of Child Support Services website.

Can the Support Order change?

In the Review and Adjustment process of your support order (also known as a Modification), there is a review of the income and expenses of both parties and the children. The request is submitted to Child Support Services. A hearing can be set with the court if necessary.

Reasons to request a modification include:

  • One of the children has emancipated but your order is a fixed amount for all children on your case.
  • You or the other parent have had a significant change in income that may change your support order by 10 percent or more.
  • There has been a significant change in the cost of raising the children on your case (such as healthcare costs, daycare costs or extraordinary medical expenses).

Note the following guidelines:

  • Modification requests must be made in writing.
  • You must specify why and how your circumstances have changed.
  • You must sign and return the request to the Child Support Services department that manages your case.
  • Include an income and expense affidavit with supporting documentation.

If your order was granted from another state, the Child Support Services office will request that the other state modify your order. Colorado cannot modify another state’s orders directly.

You can request Modification materials from your technician at the CSSU.

Can I access information online?

The State of Colorado Child Support Enforcement Program Website allows you to:

  • Sign up for a login and user ID if you have an established Colorado case
  • Access payment status
  • Access payment records
  • Check on case status
  • Submit changes to personal information
  • Review resources and reference materials

Contact Us

Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
TTY: 1-800-659-3656
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

Boulder Location

3460 Broadway
Map and Directions Boulder Location

Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Longmont Location

515 Coffman St.
Map and Directions Longmont Location
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Lafayette Location

1755 S. Public Road, Lafayette
Map and Directions Lafayette Location
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed 1-2 p.m. for lunch.

Housing & Human Services website

Connect With Us