Boulder County Public Works manages construction projects in unincorporated Boulder County for roads, bridges, multi-use pathways, and drainages.
Construction-Related Travel Impacts
County Road Projects
Sugarloaf Road Flood Recovery Project underway
Boulder County is currently working on the last 2013 flood recovery-related project on Sugarloaf Road. The project involves the construction of five retaining walls, drainage improvements, and reconstruction of approximately 2,000-feet of roadway just up from CO 119 and will include a four-foot shoulder in the uphill lane. During daytime, weekday working hours, expect up-to 20-minute delays on Sugarloaf Road as the road has been reduced to one lane. Flaggers will be used during the day to safely guide travelers. For afterhours traffic control, temporary traffic signals have been installed on Sugarloaf Road. In addition, CO 119/Boulder Canyon Drive will be reduced to one lane during working hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday). Flaggers will be used to guide travelers on CO 119 during the lane closures. Residential cycling only (at all times) in the uphill direction on Sugarloaf Road. The project is anticipated to last into October, weather permitting. Learn more on the project webpage.
Olde Stage Road resurfacing project underway – Expect delays and rough surface conditions
Boulder County Public Works and Asphalt Specialties are currently working on resurfacing Olde Stage Road between Lefthand Canyon Drive and Lee Hill Drive. Work will include creation of a 4-foot uphill shoulder on the south side of Olde Stage Road to provide more room for cyclists and pedestrians. Expect daytime, weekday travel delays of up to 15-minutes. Cyclists should avoid the area. The project is anticipated to last until the end of October, weather permitting. Learn more about the project.
Apple Valley Road bridge painting starts Sept. 12 – Expect daytime, weekday bridge closures
The bridge over the North St. Vrain River at the north entrance to Apple Valley Road will be painted for approximately two-weeks starting Monday, Sept. 12. In order to accommodate painting, the bridge must be closed from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Access to Apple Valley Road will be maintained at all times from the southern end of Apple Valley Road, just outside of Lyons.
South Boulder Road Emergency Concrete Panel Replacement – Project on hold to date to be determined
Failing concrete panels will be replaced on South Boulder Road between Manhattan Drive and Cherryvale Road starting at a date to be determined. This work will require lane closures in both directions on South Boulder Road and a pedestrian/cyclist detour due to a shoulder closure (see map). The work is anticipated to take two weeks, weather permitting. Expect delays during the entire project due to South Boulder Road being reduced to one-lane in each direction. Learn more.
Annual Paving Program underway
Road Maintenance is currently undertaking annual paving operations on county roadways. Work will take place between 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and is expected to last through August, weather permitting. Work will take place in the following order:
- 79th Street between CO Highway 52 and Niwot Road – COMPLETE
- Monarch Road between 79th Street and the Diagonal Highway – COMPLETE
- 73rd Street between the Diagonal Highway and Niwot Road – COMPLETE
- Niwot Road between the Diagonal Highway and 73rd Street – COMPLETE
- 63rd Street between Jay Road and the City of Boulder limits – UNDERWAY
- 2nd Avenue in Niwot
- Valmont Road between Boulder Creek and 61st Street
- See map
Paving operations will include milling of the old road surface and a layer of new asphalt. Motorists and cyclists can expect single lane closures in work zones. Flaggers will be used to guide travelers safely around construction operations, so expect delays and please use caution when passing through the zone.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to complete these projects.
Projects Impacting Cycling
Sugarloaf Road Construction – No uphill cycling between CO 119 and Betasso Road
Starting May 2, 2022, crews will begin constructing new retaining walls along the first 2,000-feet of Sugarloaf Road up from CO 119/Boulder Canyon. In order to complete this work, Sugarloaf will be reduced to one-lane in this stretch. Traffic signals will be used to control alternating traffic on the available lane. Due to the steep incline, cycling will not be allowed in the uphill direction through the construction zone Cycling will be allowed in the downhill direction. The project is anticipated to be completed in October 2022, weather permitting. Learn more.
Thank you for following restrictions! We apologize for any inconvenience.
- US 287 CLOSED in both directions between Dillon & Miramonte March 21 through March 26
- CO 7 – Lyons to Raymond/Riverside Flood Recovery Reconstruction Project – CDOT August 2021 to December 2022
- Expect significant travel delays and roadway closures starting in Sept. 2021
- Project Webpage
- Project hotline = 720-912-8870
- Project email = CO7Info@kiewit.com
- Text “CO7UPDATES” to 21000 to receive project text alerts
- Special Event Permit Requests – Pending & Approved taking place throughout Boulder County
- Utilize CDOT’s COtrip.org website to see real time traffic condition updates on state highways
- Learn about road closures in the City of Boulder at www.BoulderConeZones.net.
- Learn about road closures in Longmont
- Learn about road closures in Lafayette
- Learn about road closures in Louisville
- Learn about road closures in Erie