Boulder County Public Works manages construction projects in unincorporated Boulder County for roads, bridges, multi-use pathways, and drainages.
Construction-Related Travel Impacts
County Road Projects
Sugarloaf Road Flood Recovery Project underway
DAYTIME, WEEKDAY ROAD CLOSURES AUG. 12 to SEPT. 9
Due to an unsafe and confined work zone, Sugarloaf Road will need to be closed between CO 119 and Betasso Road during the following times for four weeks starting Friday, Aug. 12:
- Monday through Friday – 9:30 a.m. to noon
- Monday through Friday – 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Sugarloaf Road will remain open in a single-lane configuration through the work zone during all other hours. Expect flaggers during daytime working hours and the use of traffic signals outside of normal working hours, when the road is open. The weekday closures will be in place through Friday, Sept. 9, weather permitting. The west end of Sugarloaf Road at CO Highway 72/Peak to Peak will remain open at all times. Emergency services will be provided immediate access at all times.
Boulder County is currently working on the last 2013 flood recovery-related project on Sugarloaf Road. The project involves the construction of five retaining walls, drainage improvements, and reconstruction of approximately 2,000-feet of roadway just up from CO 119 and will include a four-foot shoulder in the uphill lane. Temporary traffic signals will be installed on Sugarloaf Road as the road will be reduced to one-lane in the construction zone. In addition, CO 119/Boulder Canyon Drive will be reduced to one lane during working hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday). Flaggers will be used to guide travelers on CO 119 during the lane closures. The project is anticipated to last into October, weather permitting. Learn more on the project webpage.
Olde Stage Road resurfacing project starts July 18
Boulder County Public Works and Asphalt Specialties will work on resurfacing Olde Stage Road between Lefthand Canyon Drive and Lee Hill Drive starting on Monday, July 18. Work will include creation of a 4-foot uphill shoulder on the south side of Olde Stage Road to provide more room for cyclists and pedestrians. The project is anticipated to last into October, weather permitting. Learn more about that project.
South Boulder Road Emergency Concrete Panel Replacement – Project on hold to date to be determined
Failing concrete panels will be replaced on South Boulder Road between Manhattan Drive and Cherryvale Road starting at a date to be determined. This work will require lane closures in both directions on South Boulder Road and a pedestrian/cyclist detour due to a shoulder closure (see map). The work is anticipated to take two weeks, weather permitting. Expect delays during the entire project due to South Boulder Road being reduced to one-lane in each direction. Learn more.
Annual Paving Program Starts July 12
Road Maintenance will begin annual paving operations on county roadways on Tuesday, July 12. The work will take place between 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and is expected to last through August, weather permitting. Work will take place in the following order:
- 79th Street between CO Highway 52 and Niwot Road
- Monarch Road between 79th Street and the Diagonal Highway
- 73rd Street between the Diagonal Highway and Niwot Road
- Niwot Road between the Diagonal Highway and 73rd Street
- 63rd Street between Jay Road and the City of Boulder limits
- 2nd Avenue in Niwot
- Valmont Road between Boulder Creek and 61st Street
- See map
Construction of each segment will take approximately one week, with the exception of 2nd Avenue in Niwot, which should take two to three days. Paving operations will include milling of the old road surface and a layer of new asphalt. Motorists and cyclists can expect single lane closures in work zones. Flaggers will be used to guide travelers safely around construction operations, so expect delays and please use caution when passing through the zone.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to complete these projects.
Projects Impacting Cycling
Sugarloaf Road Construction – No uphill cycling between CO 119 and Betasso Road
Starting May 2, 2022, crews will begin constructing new retaining walls along the first 2,000-feet of Sugarloaf Road up from CO 119/Boulder Canyon. In order to complete this work, Sugarloaf will be reduced to one-lane in this stretch. Traffic signals will be used to control alternating traffic on the available lane. Due to the steep incline, cycling will not be allowed in the uphill direction through the construction zone Cycling will be allowed in the downhill direction. The project is anticipated to be completed in October 2022, weather permitting. Learn more.
Thank you for following restrictions! We apologize for any inconvenience.
- US 287 CLOSED in both directions between Dillon & Miramonte March 21 through March 26
- CO 7 – Lyons to Raymond/Riverside Flood Recovery Reconstruction Project – CDOT August 2021 to December 2022
- Expect significant travel delays and roadway closures starting in Sept. 2021
- Project Webpage
- Project hotline = 720-912-8870
- Project email = CO7Info@kiewit.com
- Text “CO7UPDATES” to 21000 to receive project text alerts
- Special Event Permit Requests – Pending & Approved taking place throughout Boulder County
- Utilize CDOT’s COtrip.org website to see real time traffic condition updates on state highways
- Learn about road closures in the City of Boulder at www.BoulderConeZones.net.
- Learn about road closures in Longmont
- Learn about road closures in Lafayette
- Learn about road closures in Louisville
- Learn about road closures in Erie