Boulder County Public Works manages construction projects in unincorporated Boulder County for roads, bridges, multi-use pathways, and drainages.
Construction-Related Travel Impacts
County Road Projects
- North 71st Street reconstruction between Lookout Road and CO 52 – UNDERWAY – Will require full roadway closure starting March 20
- Crane Hollow Road culvert installation – COMPLETE
- 2nd Avenue paving in Niwot – April 24 to 27
- Longmont Dam Road bridge repairs – Underway
- 95th Street at Lookout Road intersection safety improvements – spring/summer 2023
- Buckingham Road drainage improvements – spring/summer 2023
- East County Line Road (Zlaten to St. Vrain) realignment and reconstruction – summer/fall 2023 – Requires full roadway closure
- N. 119th Street at St. Vrain Creek bridge reconditioning – fall/winter 2023 – Requires full roadway closure
- Hygiene Road at Foothills Reservoir road and drainage improvements – fall/winter 2023 – May require full roadway closure
- 95th Street (Lookout to Valmont) Roadway Reconstruction – winter 2023 through summer 2024 – Will require full roadway closure
Longmont Dam Road Bridge Rehabilitation
This project has been suspended until the fall of 2023 due to high water.
The second bridge over N. St. Vrain Creek on Longmont Dam Road is currently being rehabilitated. Expect daytime, weekday lane closures at the bridge through July. Longer delays may be experienced when equipment is being relocated in the construction area.
N. 71st Street – Winchester Circle to CO Hwy 52 – CLOSED through June
Phase II of the N. 71st Street Reconstruction Project is currently underway. This phase of the work requires a full closure of N. 71st Street between Winchester Circle/Gunbarrel Tech Center and CO Hwy 52/Mineral Road (see map) through June 2023. Learn more about the project and associated travel impacts on the project webpage.
Hygiene Road Paving Project starts May 22
Starting at 7 a.m. on Monday, May 22, the Road Maintenance Division will reconstruct all of Hygiene Road between US 36 and 75th Street. Work is expected to last through July, weather permitting. The entire road will be fully removed and rebuilt from the the ground up. Due to the full-depth reclamation, all travelers can expect significant delays during working hours, which are 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday. Pilot cars will be used to safely move travelers around construction operations. Until it is repaved, the road will be in less than ideal conditions. Cyclists are encouraged to avoid this road until paving has been completed. Speeds will be reduced during the project.
US 36 – Boulder to Lyons -CDOT Resurfacing Project – May through August
This summer, CDOT will undertake a surface and safety improvement project on US 36 between Boulder and Lyons. Work will involve widening and resurfacing several sections of roadway. Work will take place between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, and will require the use of through lane, turning lane, and shoulder closures, which will result in travel delays. There is also night work planned at various times throughout the project. This work will take place between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. and run through August, weather permitting. For more information:
- Project webpage – https://www.codot.gov/projects/us36surfaceimprovements
- Project hotline – 720-770-8178 ext. 9061
- Project email – US36Improvements@gmail.com
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to complete these projects.
For more information about Boulder County road travel impacts, please contact – Andrew Barth – 303-441-1032
Projects Impacting Cycling
Sugarloaf Road Construction – No uphill cycling between CO 119 and Betasso Road
Starting May 2, 2022, crews will begin constructing new retaining walls along the first 2,000-feet of Sugarloaf Road up from CO 119/Boulder Canyon. In order to complete this work, Sugarloaf will be reduced to one-lane in this stretch. Traffic signals will be used to control alternating traffic on the available lane. Due to the steep incline, cycling will not be allowed in the uphill direction through the construction zone Cycling will be allowed in the downhill direction. The project is anticipated to be completed in October 2022, weather permitting. Learn more.
Thank you for following restrictions! We apologize for any inconvenience.
- CO 119/Boulder Canyon Drive CLOSED at the tunnel overnight April 16 to 20
- CDOT working on repairs to the tunnel in Boulder Canyon
- FULL CLOSURE at the tunnel in both directions between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. each day
- PROJECT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Project phone line – 970-350-2368
- Project web site – https://www.codot.gov/projects/co119bouldercanyontunnel https://www.codot.gov/@@site-logo/siteLogo.png
- OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
- Special Event Permit Requests – Pending & Approved taking place throughout Boulder County
- Utilize CDOT’s COtrip.org website to see real time traffic condition updates on state highways
- Learn about road closures in the City of Boulder at www.BoulderConeZones.net.
- City of Boulder Live Traffic Cameras
- Learn about road closures in Longmont
- Learn about road closures in Lafayette
- Learn about road closures in Louisville
- Learn about road closures in Erie