If you recently received a vehicle (car, truck, SUV, motorcycle, or motor home) as a gift, you have 60 days to register your vehicle at one of our three MV branch locations.
To ensure same-day service at the counter, please come prepared with the following documentation:
- Secure and Verifiable ID for the new owner or designated power of attorney.
- Anyone other than the named owner must present a completed and notarized Form DR2175 Power of Attorney and their own Secure and Verifiable ID.
- Vehicle Title
- Must be properly endorsed by the previous owner.
- If the person giving the vehicle and the person receiving the vehicle have two different last names, a bill of sale may be required.
- Emissions Test (if required)
- When you receive a vehicle as a gift, you are required to have a new emissions test even if the current inspection report still has time on it (unless the vehicle is exempt from emissions requirements).
- Please see our Emissions Testing page for more information.
- Odometer Reading if the vehicle is less than 10 years old
- Proof of Insurance
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Verification for out-of-state vehicles
- To be exempt from sales tax, the vehicle must be given as a gift and without consideration. Assumption of debt would subject the vehicle to Sales Tax.
- You can estimate your registration fees online. (Be sure to use the original MSRP – you may need to look this up online.)
- See Fees and Sales Taxes for more information.