Need to know how much it will cost to register your vehicle? You can estimate your fees by using this online calculator (note that this estimate will not include taxes). Be sure to enter the original MSRP (usually different from your purchase price). You may need to look this up online.
Please also note that we cannot estimate registration fees over the phone or by email.
The cost of a license plate is based on:
- Vehicle type
- Weight of the vehicle
- License plate type
Colorado FASTER Fees
- Funding Advancement for Surface Transportation Economic Recovery (FASTER) fees were created with Senate Bill 09-108.
- The Road Safety and Bridge Safety Surcharges are based on a vehicle’s weight and class and are in addition to all other registration fees.
- The Road Safety Surcharge was reduced by $11.10 effective January 1st, 2022 through December 31st, 2023. The amounts below include this temporary reduction, created with House Bill 22-1351.
Road Safety Surcharge (CRS 43-4-804(1))
- $4.90 for motorcycles, autocycles, trailer coaches and vehicles weighing 2,000 pounds or less
- $11.90 for vehicles weighing 2,001 to 5,000 pounds (i.e. most cards, SUVs, light trucks)
- $16.90 for vehicles weighing 5,001 pounds to 10,000 pounds (i.e. most large SUVs and large trucks)
- $25.90 for passenger buses and vehicles weighing 10,001 pounds to 16,000 pounds
- $39.00 for vehicles weighing more than 16,001 pounds (i.e. most commercial trucks)
Bridge Safety Surcharge (CRS 43-4-805(3)(a))
- $13.00 for motorcycles, trailer coaches and vehicles weighing 2,000 pounds or less
- $18.00 for vehicles weighing 2,001 to 5,000 pounds (i.e. most cards, SUVs, light trucks)
- $23.00 for vehicles weighing 5,001 pounds to 10,000 pounds (i.e. most large SUVs and large trucks)
- $29.00 for passenger buses and vehicles weighing 10,001 pounds to 16,000 pounds
- $32.00 for vehicles weighing more than 16,001 pounds (i.e. most commercial trucks)
The Road and Bridge Safety Surcharges shall be imposed for an item of Special Mobile Machinery that is covered by a registration exempt certificate.
All funds generated from the surcharges will be used to maintain Colorado roads and bridges.
Note: Collector Vehicles are charged one year of Road and Bridge Safety Surcharges for a 5-year registration. These surcharges are not collected on rental or horseless carriage vehicles.
- $7.20 – Title print only
- $8.20 – Duplicate title
- $4.00 – Duplicate registration
- $3.50 – Homemade trailer ID
- $7.03 – Permit
- $4.22 – Year Tab Replacement
- $4.28 – Year and Month Tab Replacement
If a lien is filed on the title, filing fees for the security agreement document will depend on the size and number of pages.
Colorado law requires residents to pay late fees. Late fees for vehicles are $25 per month but may not exceed $100. Late fees for trailers are a one-time $10 fee. Temporary permits are not subject to a one-month grace period (C.R.S. 42-3-112, 42-3-114) and late fees will be assessed on expired temporary permits.