If you have questions about property valuation and property tax, visit boco.org/2023Valuation.

Secure and Verifiable ID

Appointments now required for in-person visits. Additionally, registration renewals need to be completed out of office. Options include online, by mail or drop box, or at a self-service kiosk. Read about these changes (including benefits, and FAQs). Información en español.

Attn: The Lafayette branch moved across the street to: 1755 S. Public Road on September 18.

Secure and Verifiable ID

Motor vehicle clerk passing ID back to customer

Secure and verifiable ID is required for the following transactions:

  • Registering a newly purchased vehicle
  • Titling a newly purchased vehicle
  • Changing the name on a title
  • Removing or adding a lien on a title
  • Obtaining a temporary permit
  • Obtaining a disability parking placard or plate
  • New residents of Colorado registering with an out-of-state title or registration
  • Buying out a lease
  • Out-of-state title exchanged to a Colorado title
  • Replacement title or registration

Identification must be provided by the owner of record or a representative/agent with power of attorney. The representative must have secure and verifiable identification to complete the transaction. Commercially owned or lien holder transactions require a letter of authorization.

View the Supplemental Secure & Verifiable ID form. This is required for any of the transactions listed on this page when the name on the ID differs from the name on the title work. (Example: First, Middle & Last Name vs. First & Last Only)

Which types of IDs are Secure and Verifiable?

Any Colorado Driver License, Colorado Driver Permit or Colorado Identification Card, current or expired one year or less. (Valid temporary paper license with invalid Colorado Driver’s License, Colorado Driver’s Permit, or Colorado Identification Card, expired one year or less is acceptable.)

Out-of-state issued photo driver’s license or photo identification card, photo driver’s permit current or expired one year or less.

U.S. Passport current or expired less than 10 years.

Valid foreign passport with I-94 or valid processed for I551 stamps. Valid I-94 issued by Canadian government with L1 or R1 status and a valid Canadian driver’s license or valid Canadian identification card.

Valid I551 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident card. No border crosser or USA B1/ B2 Visa/BCC cards.

Valid I688 Temporary Resident, I688B, and I766 Employment Authorization Card with intact photo.

Valid US Military ID (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve and National Guard).

Tribal Identification Card with intact photo. (U.S. or Canadian)

Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo.

Certificate of (US) Citizenship with intact photo.

Corporate Vehicle Requirements

A letter of authorization is required when titling and/or registering a vehicle in a company name. This letter must include:

  • Company letterhead
  • State what the agent is authorized to do on behalf of the company
  • Name of the authorized agent(s)
  • Signature and title of company representative

Original, faxed or photocopy is acceptable.

Contact Us

Motor Vehicle Division

**New as of Jan 4, 2021**
7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Mon-Thurs.
CLOSED Fridays
Online Contact Form
Contáctenos - Formulario en línea

Phone: 303-413-7710

Fax: 303-413-7725 (Boulder office)
Fax: 303-413-7002 (Lafayette office)
Fax: 303-678-6126 (Longmont office)


Boulder: 1750 33rd Street
Map & Directions

Longmont: 529 Coffman Street
Map & Directions

Lafayette: 1755 S. Public Road
Map & Directions

Mailing Address

1750 33rd Street, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301