A Mountain Community
Tungsten Village, completed in 2020, is located at 333 State Highway 72, a few blocks northwest of downtown Nederland. Tungsten Village contains 26 affordable rental homes for low- and moderate-income residents, and is owned, managed, and maintained by the Boulder County Housing Authority.
Beauty and Sustainability
Tungsten Village features state-of-the-art design and technology that make it both beautiful and sustainable:
- The building incorporates permeable surfaces along with a photovoltaic solar system producing approximately 31 kilowatt hours per year.
- In the spirit of Nederland’s Dark Sky Initiative, Tungsten Village features downcast lighting to help preserve the night skies and avoid impacts on surrounding neighborhoods.
- The project team worked closely with the Town of Nederland to meet guidelines put forward by recycling and green initiatives.
The building design echoes mountain community character and spirit with vernacular mountain architectural style and use of natural exterior materials and colors.
What’s in a Name?
Tungsten Village was named by community members Naomi Harris and Tamara Whinston through BCHA’s “Name it, Ned” campaign in 2018, citing as their source of inspiration Nederland’s history of tungsten mining paired with the saying “it takes a village” to describe the close-knit community.
Thanks to Our Partners!
BCHA is grateful to our construction and design partners for their collaboration on Tungsten Village:
- Milender White Construction Company created and enforced a COVID-19 site protection plan to provide a safe workplace for employees, subcontractors, and neighboring residents.
- Architect Coburn Partners designed a building that supports BCHA and the community’s mission to increase affordable housing in a way that compliments the distinct character of the mountain community.
- The Town of Nederland, members of the Peak-to-Peak Housing and Human Services Alliance, and other town leaders provided support, input, and outreach to members of their community at every step in the process.