Animal Control
Animal Control Horse Rescue

Animal Control

Dead Animal Disposal

Property owners are responsible for disposing of all animal remains located on private property. We recommend that you wear gloves and place the remains in plastic bags and dispose them with household trash. There are also private companies that perform this service for a fee.

Large (deer-sized) animal carcasses on county maintained roads, that are causing a traffic hazard, can be requested to be removed from the roadway by Boulder County Public Works.

If you have a large number of animal mortalities due to disease, please contact the Colorado Department of Agriculture for guidance.

Municipalities Served

The Boulder County Animal Control Unit provides services to the unincorporated areas of Boulder County, and the towns of Lyons, Superior and Jamestown.

Cities Served

The cities of Boulder, Erie, Lafayette, Longmont, Louisville, and Nederland provide for animal control services through their respective police departments; for information about local ordinances, contact the respective municipality.

Animal Control investigates cases involving domesticated animals, animal bites, abused or neglected animals, dogs running at large, sick or injured animals, and barking dogs.

Incidents involving wildlife (eg. bears, deer, elk, mountain lions, and the like) and hunting violations are typically referred to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (303-297-1192). Sheriff’s deputies and Animal Control specialists typically respond to emergency or in-progress calls regarding wildlife (eg. rabid raccoons, snake calls, injured deer, etc), however, any follow-up investigations are referred to the Division of Wildlife.

All dogs and cats must be vaccinated against rabies. In addition, all dogs must wear a collar with their rabies tag firmly attached. Boulder County ordinances are intended to protect animals as well as citizens.

While state law provides some governance, local ordinances typically regulate animal-related issues. For additional information, refer to Boulder County Ordinance #2022-08; for the Town of Lyons, refer to the Lyons Municipal Code; for the Town of Superior, refer to the Superior Municipal Code.

To file a complaint or for further information, call Boulder County Communications at 303-441-4444.

The owner or keeper of a dog must prevent their dog from disturbing the peace of any person by unprovoked, loud, persistent, and habitual barking, howling, or yelping. Complaints may result in the issuance of a three-day barking notice, which may lead to the issuance of a summons if the situation persists.

Dogs in the unincorporated territory of Boulder County, and those in incorporated areas that contract with the Sheriff’s Office for animal control services must be under control or physically confined, unless on the owner’s or keeper’s property.

It is unlawful for a person to knowingly, or with criminal negligence, overdrive, overload, overwork, torture, torment, deprive of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beat, needlessly mutilate, needlessly kill, carry in or upon any vehicle in a cruel manner, or otherwise mistreat or neglect any animal or cause or procure it to be done, or having the charge and custody of any animal, fail to provide it with proper food, drink or protection from the weather, or abandon it (CRS 18-9-202). Any animal that is the subject of such cruelty may be impounded if, in the opinion of the Animal Control specialist, impoundment is necessary for the protection of the animal.

If your pet has bitten someone, or if you are the victim of an animal bite, you are required under state law to file a report with the Animal Control Unit within twelve hours of the bite.

Dogs and cats involved in a biting incident must be confined to the owner’s or keeper’s premises, a veterinarian’s office, or the Humane Society for a ten-day observation period.

All domestic animals impounded by Sheriff’s deputies or Animal Control specialists are taken to one of two local animal shelters. Animals impounded from locations south of Colorado Highway 52 (Mineral Road) are taken to the Humane Society of Boulder Valley shelter, 2323 55th Street, Boulder. Their business hours are Monday through Friday, 11:00 am to 7:00 pm and weekends, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. The phone number is 303-442-4030.

If an animal is taken into custody north of Colorado Highway 52 or from within the town limits of Lyons, the animal will be transported to the City of Longmont Humane Society shelter, 9595 Nelson Road, Longmont. Their hours are 11:00 am to 6:00 pm, seven days a week. The phone number is 303-772-1232.

If you wish to report an injured or sick domestic animal, call Boulder County Communications at 303-441-4444. If the animal is a domestic cat or dog, an Animal Control specialist or a Sheriff’s deputy will respond to ensure the animal is impounded and transported to a local veterinarian or the Humane Society. In cases involving wildlife, officers of the Colorado Division of Wildlife will be notified.

To report any dead domestic cat or dog that is lying in, or adjacent to a roadway within unincorporated Boulder County, please call Boulder County Communications at 303-441-4444 and an Animal Control specialist will be dispatched to remove it.

Contact Us

Sheriff's Office

Main: 303-441-3600
Alternate: 303-441-4444
Fax: 303-441-4739


Sheriff's Headquarters
5600 Flatiron Parkway
Boulder, CO 80301
Map and Directions


Sheriff's website
Head Quarters Lobby Hours:
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sheriff badge