Most plate styles can be personalized for an extra fee. You can order personalized plates when you register your vehicle (either online or at one of our offices) or to replace your current plates. Click here to order online.
Colorado License Plates
License Plate Options
Colorado offers many different license plate styles and options. Most plate styles can be personalized and many plates can be ordered online when you register your vehicle or as replacement plates. Plates other than Regular Plates usually have special requirements and fees. Please click on the images below for details.
Most regular and disability plates are available on the same day you visit a Motor Vehicle office. Special plates will be printed on demand and mailed to your home within 10 days of ordering.
- Colorado requires that all vehicles display valid license plates. Most vehicles must have two plates – one for the front and one for the rear of the vehicle.
- License plates are issued for a 12-month period. You must renew your registration every year.
- When you sell a vehicle, the plates are not transferable to the new owner. You must take your plates off of the vehicle when you sell it.
- As a buyer, you can drive a vehicle without plates for 36 hours, or from point A to point B, as long as you have the endorsed title and Bill of Sale.
- You cannot reuse your old plates on your new car effective January 2022. You can transfer credit for any remaining valid registration.
Many (but not all) plate styles are available online. (See plate details on this page). Also, the online option is not available for remanufacturing of personalized plates. Please contact us to initiate the replacement of personalized plates.