September 15, 2020
Boulder County Commissioners to appoint RTD District I Director
Candidates for the appointment must live within the boundaries of District I. Candidate interest is requested by Sept. 28 and public feedback on qualifications and priority issues and opportunities is due before the end of the month.
(Boulder County, Colo.) -- On Sept. 1, the Regional Transportation District (RTD) requested that the Boulder County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) fill the board director vacancy for District I (map) because no candidates for the position qualified to be placed on the ballot for the 2020 General Election.
District I consists of the eastern portion of Boulder County – including most of the City of Longmont, the City of Lafayette, and the Town of Erie – the City/County of Broomfield, and parts of unincorporated Adams and Weld Counties.
State law requires that the county with the highest number of eligible electors within the district – in this case, Boulder County – fill a vacancy via appointment. Current District I director, Judy Lubow, who has served in the position for eight years, is term-limited and her term ends Dec. 31, 2020.
RTD has further asked that the Boulder County BOCC fill the vacancy on or before Nov. 3 so that the newly appointed board director for District I can participate in the same on-boarding and swearing-in activities as the newly elected or appointed representatives from other open RTD districts. (See RTD Board of Directors website for additional information on the makeup of the RTD Board.)
"We’re honored to have the opportunity to recruit and appoint a well-qualified candidate to fill the RTD District I board position and we look forward to working with residents in the district to help us determine who that individual should be,” said Boulder County Commissioner Elise Jones. "We'd also like to take a moment to thank current director Judy Lubow for her hard work and commitment to representing the Boulder County portion of District I for these past two terms, a period that has experienced significant fiscal fluctuations for RTD and presented some truly unique transit challenges and opportunities for our region."
Process for filling the vacancy
The Boulder County Commissioners will use the following process to fill the District I vacancy:
- COMPLETED: Individuals who are interested in being considered for this vacancy must submit a Letter of Interest to the Board of County Commissioners before midnight on Monday, Sept. 28, 2020. Candidates for the appointment must live within the boundaries of District I. Letters of interest should be emailed to Michelle Krezek, Chief of Staff, at email@example.com and must include the following information:
- Name, email address, and phone number
- Answers to the following questions:
- Please explain your experience and expertise and how it would benefit District I and the RTD Board of Directors.
- Please explain why you want to serve on the RTD Board and what goals you have for service on the RTD Board of Directors.
- Please explain your ridership experience on RTD.
- COMPLETED: In addition, the Boulder County Commissioners are seeking input from members of the public to identify key District I issues, opportunities, and priorities for the consideration of qualified applications. An online public comment form is available from Sept. 15-30 at www.boco.org/RTD-District-I-Feedback.
A slate of finalists will be announced the week of Oct. 5 and these finalists will be invited to participate in individual interviews with the County Commissioners. These interviews will be recorded and posted along with the candidate’s application for public review from Oct. 14-21.
- IN PROGRESS (Updated Oct. 9): The Board of County Commissioners received nine applications and all nine were invited to interview with the Board. One of the applicants withdrew her name for consideration prior to the interviews. Half of the interviews took place on Oct. 9; the others will be conducted on Oct. 16. All eight interviews are being recorded and will be posted online for public viewing at the conclusion of all interviews. The online comment form will be reopened after all interviews are posted for the public and stakeholders to provide feedback to the Board of County Commissioners on the candidates. Another public announcement will be sent to the media and public email lists at the conclusion of the interviews and the comment form will be available for a minimum of seven days to receive public input.
- The Boulder County Commissioners will announce a selection and provide that name to the RTD
before Nov. 2, 2020. at a business meeting prior to Nov. 3.
Questions about the appointment process may be directed to Michelle Krezek, but all comments and input should be submitted through the public comment form during the periods of Sept. 15 - 30 and Oct.
14 - 21. 16 - 23.
We sincerely appreciate the time and input from District I residents.
Boulder County Board of County Commissioners
Deb Gardner, Elise Jones, Matt Jones