If an emissions test is required for a vehicle that is temporarily out of state, you may apply online for an Emissions Extension. You may also apply by mail or in-person at one of our DMV branch locations. To apply, provide the following:
- Complete the emissions extension form (DR 2376) in its entirety
- Results of passing emissions test, if testing is performed in the state where the vehicle is located.*
- Copy of current insurance
- Renewal reminder postcard, if available
- Registration payment by check or money order made out to Boulder County
* If emissions testing is not performed in the state where the vehicle is located, a VIN verification form (DR 2698) or an equivalent out-of-state form must be completed by either a local law enforcement officer or a motor vehicle employee from the state where the vehicle is currently located. Additionally, the vehicle must be emissions tested within 15 days of returning to Colorado.
You can return this form to our office via mail, paperwork drop-off box, or you can email the form to email@example.com. Once your application has been approved, you can renew online, at a kiosk or over the phone by calling 303-413-7710. NOTE: Before renewing online, you will need to change your mailing address to your out of state address before renewing your registration if you’d like the stickers and registration to be sent out of state.
Boulder County Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: Emissions Extension Requests
1750 33rd Street, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301