Stage 1 fire restrictions, enacted for unincorporated areas of western Boulder County.

Code Compliance and Zoning FAQ

The Boulder County Community Planning & Permitting office at 2045 13th St., Boulder is open to the public on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., and on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Appointments are available on Tuesday but are not required. Schedule an appointment.

Code Compliance and Zoning FAQ

What types of violations does the Community Planning & Permitting Department investigate?

The Community Planning & Permitting Department is responsible for enforcing Building Code, Noxious Weed, Rubbish, and Zoning regulations in unincorporated Boulder County, not in cities or towns.

What is the county’s enforcement process?

Boulder County code enforcement is complaint driven. Once a complaint is received, staff will investigate by researching parcel information and conducting a site visit. Code compliance staff will not enter private property without prior consent from the landowner. If a violation exists, the County will contact the property owner with the necessary steps to abate the violation.

How can I find out if there is a building, noxious weed, or zoning violation connected to my property?

You may email us with a specific address, parcel number, or legal description at Ask a Planner Form. You may also call our office at 303-441-3930.

Am I responsible for violations that existed prior to my purchase of the property?

Yes, as the owner of the property you are responsible for correcting any code violations associated with the property.

How are violations abated?

In the majority of cases, the landowner voluntarily corrects the zoning violation(s) by getting a building permit, removing the weeds or rubbish, or otherwise abating the violation. Code compliance staff may work with a landowner to establish an abatement schedule if the violation will take an extended period of time to correct. Occasionally, cases are referred to the County Attorney and/or court for final resolution.

Does the county patrol areas looking for violations?

No. Code violation cases begin when a complaint is received from the public or when a matter is referred to code compliance staff during a land use process such as Site Plan Review. In some cases staff will perform an investigation without a complaint if there are immediate health and safety concerns evident.

What are the Land Use regulations regarding Medical Marijuana?

Please view the Land Use regulations regarding Marijuana Licensing.

Does the county require a permit for grading?

Grading involving more than 50 cubic yards of dirt requires a Grading Permit. It also requires review through the Site Plan Review Waiver process. Movement of more than 500 cubic yards requires Limited Impact Special Review. Please contact our office to schedule a pre-application meeting if your grading project will exceed 50 cubic yards. Grading associated with agriculture, permitted mining activities, and permitted foundational construction are exempt from these provisions.

What weeds are on the county noxious weed list?

Boulder County’s Noxious Weed List can be found on the Boulder County Noxious Weed List publication.

Am I required to manage noxious weeds on my property?

Yes. It is the duty of all property owners to implement a noxious weed management plan using integrated methods, if the weeds are likely to be materially damaging to the land of neighboring landowners.

Where can I find more information about noxious weeds?

You can visit the Boulder County Noxious Weeds & Invasive Species Management on Open Space webpage for more noxious weed information.

Who can assist me in creating a noxious weed management plan?

For assistance in creating a Noxious Weed Management Plan, please contact Steve Sauer, County Noxious Weed Coordinator, at 303-678-6110 or

My neighbor has a bunch of “junk” cars on their property. Is this allowed?

Cars must be licensed, operable, and owned by the individual(s) who reside on the property. Any unlicensed or inoperable vehicle is considered rubbish. Storage of any vehicle that is not owned by the individual(s) who reside on the property is prohibited. Cars may not be used for storage.

My neighbor accused me of having too much junk and trash, but I consider these valuable/usable items. Do I have to remove them?

All items stored outdoors must meet the Outdoor Storage requirements of Article 4 of the Boulder County Land Use Code.

  • Items must be customary and incidental to the main use of the property.
  • The area of placement may not exceed five percent of the lot area.
  • Items must be adequately screened from the view of adjacent roadways and properties.
  • Any unit, bin, room, or container used for storage must be a permanent structure
  • Any vehicles or trailers shall be licensed and operable and may not be used for storage.
  • Accessory outdoor storage of agricultural products and operable agricultural equipment is exempt from these provisions.

Does the county require a property owner to maintain his or her yard?

Yes, properties that are 2½ acres or smaller are required to be maintained in harmony with generally accepted neighborhood aesthetics. This includes keeping grasses, shrubs and brush cut to less than 9 inches in height. For issues concerning properties inside city limits, please contact the Municipality Contacts Within Boulder County.

Report a Land Use Code Violation

Contact Us

Community Planning & Permitting

Ask a Planner

Courthouse Annex Building

2045 13th St.
Boulder, CO 80302


8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday
Map and Directions

Mailing Address

Community Planning & Permitting
PO Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306
Community Planning & Permitting website