May 17, 2022
Vivienne Jannatpour, (303) 678-6277
Free Hessie Trailhead Shuttle begins Friday, May 27
New for 2022, Friday shuttle service will run the entire season, and the RTD route NB between Boulder and Nederland will be free to ride on days the Hessie Shuttle is operating
Boulder County, Colo. - Boulder County is providing free shuttle service on Fridays, weekends and holidays this summer and fall to carry passengers from Nederland High School (597 County Road 130) to the Hessie Trailhead, a popular entry point for accessing Lost Lake and the Indian Peaks Wilderness area off of Fourth of July Road. No passes, reservations, or fare is required to use the free Hessie Shuttle service.
On days when the Hessie Shuttle is operating, the RTD route NB between Boulder and Nederland High School will be free to ride; visitors are encouraged to park in Boulder and ride the bus all the way to their hike.
Free Shuttle Service
The seasonal shuttle service will begin Friday, May 27. The last day of shuttle service will be Sunday, Oct 9. Shuttles depart approximately every 15 minutes during operating hours. The schedule will be as follows:
- Fridays: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturdays: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Starting Sept. 10, Saturday service ends at 6 p.m.)
- Sundays: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Holiday exceptions and additions to the schedule include:
- Sunday, May 29: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Day before Memorial Day)
- Monday, May 30: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Memorial Day)
- Sunday, June 19: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Juneteenth)
- Monday, June 20: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Juneteenth Observed)
- Sunday, July 3: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Day before Independence Day)
- Monday, July 4: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Independence Day)
- Sunday, Sept. 4: 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Day before Labor Day)
- Monday, Sept. 5: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Labor Day)
Masks or facial coverings are not required to ride
Masks or facial coverings are not required to ride the shuttle, but passengers who would feel more comfortable wearing a mask are welcome to do so.
- Leashed dogs are welcome onboard the shuttle.
- Bikes are not allowed on the shuttle due to a lack of bike racks.
- The RTD NB route between Boulder and Nederland will be free to ride on Hessie Shuttle operating days this season; the RTD route provides service from Downtown Boulder Station (1800 14th St. Boulder) and the Boulder County Justice Center (1777 6th St., Boulder) to Nederland High School and downtown Nederland/ RTD Park-n-Ride. Free parking is available weekends and holidays at both the Downtown Boulder Station and Boulder County Justice Center.
For more information, visit www.HessieTrailhead.com, or contact Alex Hyde-Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-441-4910.
For information on all recreation shuttles operating in Boulder County in 2022, visit www.boco.org/shuttles.