Docket DC-12-0004: Text Amendments to Article 4-116 – Niwot Rural Community District to amend the parking requirements in the old town Niwot commercial area.
Several County departments have worked with the Niwot Business Local Improvement District to study parking and transportation issues and to create the Niwot Transportation & Connectivity Plan. As a result of this process, we have identified potential Land Use Code amendments in order to implement the plan.
Staff met with the Niwot community to discuss the details of the code amendments and to ask for input. They then drafted code language. These proposed amendments were brought to Planning Commission and the Board of County Commissioners for consideration at public meetings. Public testimony was taken by both Boards. The Niwot Rural Community District also requires a vote of the property owners which occurred before the final BOCC hearing.
Some possible amendments discussed included:
- Reduce parking requirement. (Possibly to 1 space per 500 sq. ft of floor area.)
- Adopt one parking rate for all uses allowed in the district. (Retail, Office or Restaurant.)
- These uses can come and go from existing square footage as though grandfathered in.
- New on-site parking only required if adding building square footage.
- Allow for more flexibility with shared parking. The best way to stay informed of upcoming meetings or to receive staff memos on this project is to subscribe to receive .
Past Public Meeting Information
Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing
Public hearing on a proposed Land Use Code amendment to Article 4-116: Niwot Rural Community District, to amend the parking requirements and related standards in the old town Niwot commercial area was held on July 31, 2012.
BOCC Action: The board approved Docket DC-12-0004.
Planning Commission Public Hearing
The Planning Commission held a public meeting on June 20, 2012, on a proposed Land Use Code Text Amendment to amend the parking requirements in the old town Niwot commercial area.
PC Action: The Planning Commission approved Docket DC-12-0004.
Boulder County hosted a public meeting on April 4, 2012 at the Left Hand Grange to discuss possible amendments to the Niwot Rural Community District. Community input primarily related to the parking regulations for the old town Niwot commercial area was requested. Business owners and residents near to the commercial area were especially encouraged to attend.