If you wish to apply for the exemption, and qualified as of January 1, 2023, and wish to receive a form to fill out, you may call our office at 303-441-3530, email AssessorSX@BoulderCounty.org, or print an application (see Instructions & Application Forms below).
The deadline for 2023 applications is July 15.
Effect on Taxes
- The exemption goes into effect for tax year 2023.
- The discount will first appear on the tax bill sent in January 2024.
- The exemption remains in effect until a disqualifying event occurs, such as:
- Sale of property
- Property is moved into a trust, LLC or other legal entity, or
- Surviving Spouse, or
- Home destroyed by a natural disaster
To qualify to apply for the 2023 tax year (payable in 2024), seniors:
- Were born on or before January 1, 1958, and
- Lived in the home continuously starting before January 1, 2013, and
- Owned the home continuously starting before January 1, 2013.
For those who qualify, 50 percent of the first $200,000 in actual value of their primary residence is exempted, for a maximum exemption amount of $100,000 in actual value. The State of Colorado pays the property taxes on the exempted value.
Application Forms & Instructions
- Short form
- Short form instructions
- Long form (for properties held in trusts, LLCs or other legal entities)
- Long form instructions
- Sign up or log in to apply online
Applications are also available at the Assessor’s office, senior centers and other locations.
If you have any questions, please email AssessorSX@BoulderCounty.org.