About the Program
This is a voluntary program. Families are free to accept or decline home visits. Visits are available at no cost for families. The program is designed to integrate with existing community services and complement other services being offered. The Family Connects model identifies unmet needs and gaps in available services and passes this information back to the community.
Family Connects International recognizes and celebrates the value of all families and we are committed to approaching our work through inclusive and culturally responsive practices. Family Connects fosters partnerships, not only with community organizations and resources but also with pediatric care providers, using multiple approaches.
- Upon conclusion of the home visit(s), the nurse sends clinical reports to both pediatric and maternity care providers.
- In the event of an urgent need, the nurse will contact the healthcare provider or emergency department during the visit.
- Healthcare providers can send referrals to Family Connects when health needs are identified; the nurse can then focus the assessment on those aspects and follow-up.
- The Nurse case conferences can highlight trends that would otherwise be missed.
- The two-generational strategy addresses both parental and infant needs.
In close interaction with the pediatric medical home, Family Connects is part of how we care for children in our community.