Home Disposal of Syringes
You can prevent contamination of our waterways by safely disposing of syringes at home, using a needle exchange program, or via a syringe disposal company.
- Place sharps in a strong plastic bottle (e.g. bleach, liquid detergent) or metal container with a screw-on or tightly secured lid to prevent accidental contact with the waste. No milk containers (jugs).
- Secure lid with duct tape.
- Place sealed container in your regular trash.
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
- The Hazardous Materials Management Facility (HMMF) is currently accepting sharps from Boulder County, City and County of Broomfield, and Town of Erie residents free of charge during normal hours of operation
- Sharps are NOT accepted by recycling programs. Do not put sharps in with the recycling, even if the container you use to seal them is recyclable, as this puts staff at the recycling center at risk.
- The Hazardous Materials Management Facility (HMMF) offers prepaid envelopes for all unused medication including legally held controlled drugs and narcotics. 720-564-2251