Stage 1 fire restrictions, enacted for unincorporated areas of western Boulder County.

Housing Assistance
Damaged homes in Lyons after the 2013 Flood

Housing Assistance for Individuals

Housing Flood Information & Resources

If you would like to talk with someone about your flood-related housing needs, contact Housing & Human Services at 303-441-1000 (select option 2). You will also find many post-flood housing resources on this page.

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency)


Housing & Financial Counseling
A HUD-approved Housing Counselor can help you explore the options available through your mortgage company. In a free and confidential appointment we can review your current financial circumstances, review your mortgage and options available on your particular mortgage, discuss loans and programs that may be helpful in rebuilding or repairing your property or purchasing a new property, and discuss the financial implications of these options. Together, we can make a plan for moving forward.

Contact info:
Phone: 720-564-2279

Mortgage Assistance
If your ability to pay your mortgage is compromised following the disaster, contact your mortgage company for assistance. Most lenders will work with you on solutions including payment forbearance and loan modifications. Additionally, if you have an FHA mortgage or a mortgage owned by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, your lender must follow specific guidelines on reviewing your loan for assistance options. If you would like to review these options and their implications and receive advice on the best way for you to proceed with your mortgage, contact a HUD-approved Housing Counselor (see above).

You may be interested in purchasing a new property or refinancing your existing mortgage to include the cost of needed repairs. FHA has mortgages available for these purposes.

  • Making mortgage insurance available – HUD’s Section 203(h) program provides FHA insurance to disaster victims who have lost their homes and are facing the daunting task of rebuilding or buying another home. Borrowers from participating FHA-approved lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs;
  • Making insurance available for both mortgages and home rehabilitation – HUD’s Section 203(k) loan program enables those who have lost their homes to finance the purchase or refinance of a house along with its repair through a single mortgage. It also allows homeowners who have damaged houses to finance the rehabilitation of their existing single-family home.

Housing Availability For Displaced Residents
Please visit these flood recovery and housing resources links for information that may be helpful to you:

  • Colorado Housing Search helps with a range of housing-related needs.
  • Northern Colorado Rentals is a rental property resource that connects landlords and renters.
  • PadMapper contains a map of house and apartment sublet and rental listings.
  • Airbnb is an online service that provides a platform for individuals referred to rent unoccupied living space and other short-term lodging to guests.

Flood Recovery Navigation Guides
The following guide contains much more information about flood recovery resources and services available in Boulder County.

Tips for Landlords & Tenants in Navigating Rental Issues Following the Recent Flooding

The following information addresses pertinent questions and concerns following the recent flooding. The City of Boulder’s Community Mediation Service provides landlord/tenant information and mediation services for the City of Boulder residents. The following information is offered as general information and does not constitute legal advice.

To Discuss Your Situation or for Mediation Services, Call CMS at 303-441-4364.

How will repairs be made and who is responsible?

  • Always check the lease to determine if there is any applicable language on who is responsible for maintaining and repairing the premises.
  • Check if the property has any flood insurance which may cover repairs.
  • The tenant should present a written list of the needed repairs to the landlord requesting the repairs be made by a certain date within a reasonable timeframe.
  • Tenants should make an effort to cooperate with the completion of any repair work by allowing access to the property. If the tenant prevents repairs to be done, they may assume some responsibility for any damages that may result.
  • Assistance for tenants is available through FEMA. Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional are available. Call 1-800-621-3362 to apply for assistance.
  • During a flood cleanup, it is important to protect the indoor air quality by removing contaminated materials and reducing moisture and humidity. Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold. They can cause disease, trigger allergic reactions, and continue to damage materials long after the flood. For resources about what to look for, how to clean up, and a list of professionals who can help, see the Indoor Air Quality webpage.

What if repairs are not being made in a timely fashion?

  • The Warranty of Habitability (CRS 38-12-501) is a law which affords tenants protections when living conditions in a rental property are deemed uninhabitable. The law stipulates that a breach of warranty of habitability exists when conditions become materially dangerous or hazardous to a tenant’s life, health or safety and that the landlord has failed to cure within a reasonable time frame after having received written notice of the condition by the tenant. In these situations, tenants may have the option of breaking the lease, withholding rent, or suing for damages however these are all considered risky options and a tenant should seek legal advice prior to pursuing any of these avenues.
  • Be aware that the reasonable time frame for making the repairs is based on facts and surrounding circumstances. In the current circumstances where there is a high demand on repair/flood restoration services, it may take longer to get the repairs made. A reasonable time frame is “reasonable under the circumstances”. However, a landlord would be wise to keep a record of all attempts to contact contractors so they can demonstrate their efforts.

At what point can the lease be terminated?

  • The law provides for a landlord to terminate the lease if there is damage as a result of catastrophe. However, the law does not set a defined standard regarding the extent of damage that clearly defines whether a landlord can or cannot terminate the lease. (CRS 38-12-503).
  • Tenants have recourse to break their lease if the landlord fails to make repairs within a reasonable timeframe (see previous section on Warranty of habitability). However, tenants should exercise extreme caution and seek legal advice before pursuing this option as this issue may have to be brought up in court before a tenant is released from their lease obligation.
  • Ideally the tenant and landlord could negotiate between themselves and come up with an agreement on terminating the lease. This agreement should be in writing and signed by all parties. If negotiating is unsuccessful, mediation services are a good option for resolving the dispute. The City of Boulder Mediation Services are available for properties located within the City of Boulder (303-441-4364)

Who pays for alternate accommodations if a tenant is displaced?

  • The Warranty of Habitability law as written does not adequately address who would pay for temporary housing and it is best for landlords and tenants to negotiate this issue between themselves. Mediation is also an option for settling a dispute on this issue. Seeking legal advice to resolve issues around alternate accommodations is another option.
  • FEMA may provide reimbursement for temporary housing and renters should apply for assistance by calling 1-800-621-33

Additional Resources

  • Community Mediation Service– 303-441-4364
  • Longmont Mediation Service – 303-651-8444
  • Boulder County Health Department Indoor Air Quality (Mold, etc.) – 303-441-1564
  • Housing Inspection and Rental Licensing – 303-441-3152
  • Boulder County Legal Services (Low-income only) – 303-449-7575
  • CU Legal Aid and Defender Program (Low-income only) – 303-492-8126
  • Boulder Revised Code

Legal Assistance

FEMA is working with the national, state, and local bar associations to offer no-cost, disaster-related legal advice to those impacted in Adams, Boulder, Clear Creek, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer and Weld counties.

The type of legal assistance available includes:

  • Assistance with securing FEMA and other government benefits available to disaster survivors
  • Assistance with life, medical and property insurance claims
  • Help with home repair contracts and contractors
  • Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in the disaster
  • Assisting in consumer protection matters, remedies and procedure
  • Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems
  • Counseling on landlord/tenant problems

Contact Us

Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
TTY: 1-800-659-3656
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

Boulder Location

3460 Broadway
Map and Directions Boulder Location

Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Longmont Location

515 Coffman St.
Map and Directions Longmont Location
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Lafayette Location

1755 S. Public Road, Lafayette
Map and Directions Lafayette Location
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Closed 1-2 p.m. for lunch.

Housing & Human Services website

Connect With Us