|| Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
||Human Services and Public Health
|Time Commitment & Minimum Age:
||3-4 hours/week, 3:30-7p.m. once/twice a week in Boulder and/or Longmont
Boulder County- currently serving Boulder, Longmont and Lafayette youth
The GENERATIONS (formerly known as GENESISTER) Program at Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) supports youth during their teen years as well as their parents/guardians to prevent school dropout and reduce incidences of unplanned pregnancies through mentorship, self- empowerment tools, and culturally responsive programming. Visit GENERATIONS online for more information.
|Duties and Responsibilities:
GENERATIONS offers two different types of volunteer positions:
Position 1: Client Transportation/Youth Group Support
• Transports participants in personal vehicle to and from GENERATIONS groups, Fun Nights, and service learning/volunteer projects.
• Works with staff to support in developing, coordinating, and implementing service-learning projects and Fun Nights for youth.
• Assists staff with group meeting set up and break down.
Position 2: Programmatic Support
• Creates and delivers quarterly newsletters to the community/clientele.
• Creates monthly programmatic calendars.
• Supports the Leadership Cohort Intern when needed (e.g. group activities, ice breakers, and resources).
|Qualifications and Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Awareness of or willingness to learn about racism, xenophobia, privilege, sexism, etc., and their effects on the community at-large.
- Ability to work with high-risk youth and low-income families in a respectful and nonjudgmental fashion.
- Ability to support comprehensive sexual health education and reproductive rights.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to conduct oneself in a responsible and professional manner.
- Ability to be flexible and expect scheduling changes and challenges, as well as unprepared youth and/or families.
- Must manage the creation, maintenance, sharing, storage, and disposal of all client protected health information (PHI) in compliance with applicable Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements.
- Bilingual/Bicultural individuals are highly encouraged to apply.
- For client transportation, must have a reliable personal vehicle that is readily available for business use; minimum liability insurance, as required by the State of Colorado; a valid driver’s license; and a driving record in good standing.
- If traffic accident occurs, must comply with county policy.
- For client transportation, the vehicle must have properly functioning front and back seatbelts, and all passengers (including driver) are always required to wear seatbelts.
- Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation. Some immunizations (e.g. COVID-19 vaccine) and/or tuberculosis (TB) tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
|Training Dates and Information:
- Initial and ongoing training will be provided, as needed.
- Create health equity: Health equity means everyone has the opportunity to attain their highest level of health. All staff at Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) are expected to work toward achieving health equity in Boulder County.
- Support diversity: BCPH is committed to the diversity of its staff, as well as providing culturally responsive programs and services that help to reduce health inequities in Boulder County. BCPH welcomes and encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds and abilities to apply.
- Conduct work in accordance with BCPH core values: Foster Trust; Demonstrate Respect and Compassion; Collaborate and Build Strong Teams; Be Flexible, Creative, and Innovative; Pursue and Support Personal and Professional Growth; Recognize Leadership in Everyone; and Promote Inclusion and Honor the Life Experiences of Others.
- Certain mileage reimbursement for all GENERATIONS-related transportation, as designated by Boulder County, if applicable.
- Excellent opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of youth and their families and make connections with community partners.
- Flexible work schedule.
- Training opportunities offered by BCPH.
- Opportunity to support reproductive justice and be an additional trusted adult and role model for youth.
Provided by the GENERATIONS volunteer supervisor individually and/or as part of a group, as needed after volunteer placement
Submit an application online or contact Volunteer Services:
BCPH Volunteer/Intern Services Program
Boulder CO 80304
Submit an application online