Calwood Fire Recovery Seeding
|Application or Registration Deadline:||03/30/2021|
|Project Date:||Wed, March 31, 2021 9:00 am - 2:00 pm|
|Opportunity Type:||One-Time Volunteer Opportunity|
|Department:||Parks & Open Space|
|Category:||Open Space, Environment, and Gardening|
|Time Commitment & Minimum Age:||18 yrs & older|
Heil Valley Ranch
The Calwood-Fire was the largest wildfire in Boulder County’s history, burning about 10,000 acres – 5,000 of which were on Heil Valley Ranch. While our initial recovery efforts are primarily focused on large scale erosion control by way of aerial mulching, Boulder County Ecologists want to get some strategic seeding done before the mulch flies! As a team, we will be walking up and down slope spreading seed by hand. We will not be raking in the seed. This project is subject to weather conditions including high wind warnings. If conditions are predicted to be inclement, the project will be canceled and a notice will be sent to all registered participants 24 hours before the project (at the latest).
What you should know before signing up:
1. We will be seeding on a steep slope, with uneven terrain, within the burn area.
2. Participants must be able to hike in this terrain, with a backpack, while holding a 5 gallon bucket filled with seed, for the entire duration of the project. (5 hrs.)
3. Hard hats, safety vests, and all other necessary tools will be provided.
4. A complete checklist of required and suggested items for you to bring will be provided to the registration group before project day.
5. All COVID Safety protocols will be observed for the duration of the project.
This is a rare opportunity to get inside the burn area and give back to the lands that give us so much! I hope to see you on the project!
|Duties and Responsibilities:||
To ensure the safest possible experience for all, we will be requiring the following protocols:
1. If you are at all sick or have been in contact with someone who was sick within the last 2 weeks, DO NOT ATTEND.
2. The group will be limited to 9 volunteers, the activity will be held outdoors or in an open door warehouse.
3. All participants will be required to wear a face covering at all times on the project.
4. Social distancing will be required throughout the project.
5. We are not providing any water or snacks. Please ensure you come supplied with enough of both.
6. If you have your own gloves, please bring them. We will provide gloves for those who don’t have their own.
7. If not from the same household, drive separately.
Registration is required through Discover Boulder County, Parks & Open Space’s volunteer and event registration system. If you’re new to the system, you’ll need to create an account. But it’s easy and we only use your contact information to communicate about events you register for. We will never sell or give your information to a third party.
PLEASE NOTE: There is a link to the Online Waiver on the Registration page. Please click on this link to sign your waiver before coming to the project.