Stage 1 fire restrictions, enacted for unincorporated areas of western Boulder County.

Special Events Permits – Roads

Special Events Permit - Roads

View Upcoming Events Permitted by Community Planning & Permitting

A Special Event Permit is required whenever an event uses a road in unincorporated Boulder County. Events may include, but are not limited to:

  • bicycle races or group rides of more than 50 people
  • foot races or walks or walks of more than 50 people
  • motor vehicle events
  • block parties
  • parades
  • filming requests

Special Event Permits ensure that all events protect the health, safety, and welfare of event participants, the traveling public, and citizens.

View the Special Event Regulations adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on March 23, 2023.

Permits within city limits are issued by the respective cities. Contact information for municipal permits is available in the Special Events Guide.

  • Filming Requests = Seven (7) days prior to filming date
  • Block Parties = 14 days prior to party
  • All Others = At least 60 days prior to the event date, but no more than 364 days prior to the event
  • Please note that late applications may be subject to additional fees

The Board of County Commissioners approved a new tier-based fee schedule on March 23, 2023. All applications will be reviewed by the Special Events Coordinator and fees will be assessed based on the applicable tier.

Application fees are due at application submittal and are non-refundable. Performance deposits are due at permit issuance and are refunded so long as all conditions of the permit are met.

View the current fee schedule for special event permits.

Fees are waived for government entities, one-day filming requests, and block parties at the discretion of the Special Event Coordinator.

In general, the following must be submitted:

  • A completed application
  • Payment of application fees
  • Site plan or route map of the event
  • Operations and communications plan
  • Medical/Emergency response plan
  • Traffic control/transportation plan
  • Notification plan

Additional items may be required depending on the size and scale of the event. For more information, please consult the Special Events Guide, or contact the Special Event Coordinator.

Yes, for most events. Please consult the Special Events Guide for more information.

Block parties are not required to have insurance.

Special Events are required to give advance notifications via three primary means:

  • Written notification to adjacent property owners
  • Advance signing notifications along the event route or at the event location at least seven (7) days prior to the event
  • Written notification to the fire protection district at least 14 days prior to the event

For more information, consult the Special Events Guide.

In general, the following must be submitted for filming requests:

  • A completed special event permit application
  • If exceeding one day, required application fees and performance deposit
  • Map of the filming area(s)
  • Operations plan describing the setup and duration of the filming
  • Traffic control/transportation plan
  • Notification plan
  • Certificate of insurance
  • If drones are used, additional insurance and drone operator’s license (FAA Part 1007)

Additional items may be required depending on the size and scale of the media request. For more information, contact the Special Events Coordinator.

The following must be submitted for block parties:

  • A completed special events permit application
  • Map clearly showing the streets to be closed
  • Description of barricades to be used
  • Narrative of how residents and fire districts are to be informed, if restrooms are available, if live/amplified music will be played, and if alcohol will be served

For more information, consult the Block Party Guide or contact the Special Events Coordinator.

Events on private property are subject to the Group Gathering/Special Events use under Article 4-517 (D) of the Boulder County Land Use Code.

Apply For A Group Gathering Permit

For more information or to inquire if a Group Gathering Permit is required, please contact the Special Events Coordinator by email or by calling 303-441-3906.

Special Event Liquor Permits are issued by the Boulder County Liquor Licensing Authority.

For more information, visit their website, send them an email, or call 303-441-3930.

Need some help before submitting your application for a Special Event Permit? Our Special Event Guide can help answer questions about required materials and expectations. View the complete guide, or use the links below to jump to what you’re looking for:

Please Contact Special Event Coordinator John Holste via email or by calling 303-441-3906 with questions or concerns.

Contact Us

John Holste, Special Events Coordinator

Direct: 303-441-3906
Main: 303-441-3930

Courthouse Annex Building

2045 13th St.
Boulder, CO 80302


Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Tuesday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Map and Directions

Mailing Address

PO Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306
Community Planning & Permitting website