Read the commissioners’ update about Xcel’s Power Outage.


Right-of-way (ROW) is defined as an interest in property either owned in fee or as an easement transferred through grant, prescription, dedication, or the right of Eminent Domain. This interest can be public or private.

Public right-of-way is held in the public’s interest by the county. Public right-of-way is intended for the accommodation of traffic movements, utilities, drainage and other similar public uses.

An individual or entity, for example a Homeowners Association, holds private right-of-way.

Utility work and other projects in the Right-of-Way

Boulder County, by state statue, regulates utility and other construction in the right-of-way to maintain access to utilities, ensure the integrity of roads, and to ensure safety and traffic flow.

Public Utilities use the right-of-way to install and maintain facilities such as water, sewer, electric, gas, telecommunications, and cable television services. This use by public utilities is regulated by Boulder County’s Utility Construction Permit Requirements. To learn more about the requirements or to request a utility construction permit, visit our Utility Construction Permit webpage. For more information, send us an email or call 303-682-6737.

Right-of-Way Determination

Information concerning right-of-ways can be obtained by submitting a Right-of-Way Information Request Form.

Contact Us

Road Maintenance Division

Submit a Request


5201 St. Vrain Road - Building 5
Longmont, CO 80503
Map and Directions
Hours: Mid-April to October
6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
October to Mid-April
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Mailing Address

PO Box 471 Boulder, CO 80306-0471