Starting Jan. 1, the minimum wage in unincorporated Boulder County is $15.69/hour.

A partir del 1 de enero, el salario mínimo local en la zona no incorporada del condado de Boulder será de $15.69/hora.

Alternatives to Burning
Alternatives to Burning

Alternatives to Burning

While burning slash (aka, “forest debris”) is a simple and cost-effective method of disposal, it isn’t without its drawbacks. Open burning releases smoke, fine particulate matter, and carbon dioxide into the atmosphere which can contribute to health problems and degrade the air quality of Boulder County.

Several community sort yards and drop-off locations exist in Boulder County that will accept your slash material. Often, these materials are put to use powering biomass energy systems right here in Boulder County. Keep in mind that a burn permit application may be denied if a practical alternative method of disposal exists.

Alternatives to Burning

There are 3 Alternatives to Burning to consider prior to applying for an open burning permit:

  1. Drop off your material at a sort yard
  2. Scatter your material around your property*
  3. Chip your material and broadcast it onto your property*

* If your slash material was generated for the purpose of wildland fire mitigation, scattering material or broadcasting chips is not a good alternative as there is no net reduction in wildland fuels; you have just rearranged them. If your intent is wildland fire mitigation, the best alternative to burning is dropping your material at a sort yard.

Sort Yards

Several sort yards in Boulder County accept slash.

Call 303-678-6368 for more information on the Community Forestry Sort Yards.

Contact Us

Sheriff's Office

Main: 303-441-3600
Alternate: 303-441-4444
Fax: 303-441-4739


Sheriff's Headquarters
5600 Flatiron Parkway
Boulder, CO 80301
Map and Directions


Sheriff's website
Head Quarters Lobby Hours:
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Sheriff badge