Drop off your logs, slash, and timber for FREE at one of our two Community Forestry Sort Yards.
Community Forestry Sort Yards
Hours & Location
Call 303-678-6368 for operational status of either sort yard. Closures may be announced depending on weather and staffing requirements.
Instructions & Guidelines
This is a sort yard and you must separate your woody biomass into the correct areas.
All new users will be required to complete a short registration form before they can unload.
All contractors will be required to complete a short registration form for each client’s property. Contractors will not be able to unload without the following information:
- First and last name
- Physical address of property (including county and zip code)
- Clean out your pickup or trailer before loading material. This helps keep trash and debris from mingling with material.
- All material must be securely tied down.
- Keep all types of material separate within the load. Each type of material is unloaded in a different location.
- Do not use heavy machinery to load material as this will often add rocks and dirt. Any load with rocks or dirt will be refused.
- We do not accept material transported by chip vans, semi side dump, send end dump, walking floor, or live floor trailers.
What Is Accepted
Logs & Chunk Wood
- Trim branches flush to the trunk.
- Logs must be free of limbs and end of logs must be squared.
- Smallest minimum diameter is 4 inches.
- All species accepted.
- Active Mountain Pine beetle wood is accepted but discouraged between July 15 – Sept. 15 (mass flight).
- You must stack wood in the correct pile according to log length.
- Chunk wood 16”-18”
- Logs 4′ 3″
- Logs 8′ 3″
- Logs 12′ 3″
- Logs 16′ 6″
Grass, Weeds, & Forbes
- All grasses, forbs, and noxious weeds must be put in a brown paper yard bag.
- Material can be green, brown, or wood stalk.
- Bags must be rolled up and placed upside down in the container.
- Please keep bags secured during transport so weeds seeds are not spread.
- Bags must not contain tape, string, or staples. Please remove any tape, string, or staples before placing in the container.
- Do not overfill bags.
- No broken bags.
- No dirt, rocks, or trash.
- This material goes to a compost facility.
- Down decayed conifer logs and branches without needles. Anything that has a needle goes to the conifer slash pile.
- All logs must be cut squared.
- No roots. If there is a reddish tint to the wood, it’s a root. If it has a tri pod look, it’s a root
- No old posts, dimensional lumber, or construction material.
- No grass mixed in with the material.
What Is Not Accepted
Loads and paper lawn bags with rocks, dirt, or metal will be refused.
This is a free service. Please help to keep it free by keeping your loads clean and free from the items listed below.
Wood for arts and crafts projects and compost-like material are available for free by completing the request form.
Sorry, we do not give out mulch, wood chips, logs, or firewood.