June 17, 2022
Andrew Barth, 303-441-1032
Free Lyons Flyer bus service begins Monday, June 27
Fare-free scheduled bus service returns, connecting the Town of Lyons to the City of Boulder along US 36 and reestablishing a critical transit route
Boulder County, Colo. - Boulder County, with funding from the Regional Transportation District (RTD) and in partnership with the Town of Lyons, the City of Boulder, and Via Mobility Services is restoring commuter transit bus service along US 36 between Lyons and Boulder. The service, rebranded as the Lyons Flyer, will replace the Y route, formerly operated by RTD.
“We welcome the return of convenient public transportation in Lyons. It allows our residents greater flexibility to take care of their daily needs and plan trips to Boulder and beyond on the updated Lyons Flyer,” noted Mayor Hollie Rogin. “Students and employees can easily get to Boulder and back to Lyons with this weekday service.”
The Lyons Flyer will be free to ride, no fare or pass required, and will operate three daily round trips during the morning and afternoon rush hours. Service will be provided Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. All vehicles are ADA accessible and have space to accommodate two passengers using wheelchairs or mobility devices.
The morning schedule will be:
- Trip #1: Depart Lyons 6:10 a.m., Arrive Boulder 6:47 a.m.
- Trip #2: Depart Boulder 7:02 a.m., Arrive Lyons 7:35 a.m.
- Trip #3: Depart Lyons 7:50 a.m., Arrive Boulder 8:25 a.m.
The afternoon schedule will be:
- Trip #4: Depart Boulder 4:30 p.m., Arrive Lyons 5:05 p.m.
- Trip #5: Depart Lyons 5:15 p.m., Arrive Boulder 5:50 p.m.
- Trip #6: Depart Boulder 6:02 p.m., Arrive Lyons 6:35 p.m.
Service will be provided Monday through Friday, excluding Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day in 2022.
Riders can track their bus’s arrival time and location in real-time using Transit App, available for iOS and Android.
- No passes, reservations, or fare is required to use this free transit service.
- Masks or facial coverings are not required to ride the shuttle, but passengers who would feel more comfortable wearing a mask are welcome to do so. This is subject to change according to local, state or federal public health orders.
- Vehicle parking is available at the Lyons Park-n-Ride, at US 36 and 2nd Ave. in Lyons.
- All vehicles have bike racks that can accommodate three bikes.
- Leashed, well-behaved dogs are welcome aboard.
For information about all transit services operated by Boulder County, visit www.boco.org/transit.