Become a Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Provider
Child care providers can make a big difference in helping a new mother continue to breastfeed when she returns to work. Being breastfeeding-friendly can increase the length of time babies are breastfed, leading to better health for baby and mom.
- In person
- Interactive: Colorado Shines Professional Information Development (PDIS)
- Search “breastfeeding” in the Course Catalog. In order to view the course, you will need to create an account and log in or use your existing login info (you can do this even if you are not a child care professional). The online training module is for child care professionals, but can be useful for anyone interested in gaining more information on breastfeeding in child care.
Use the Self-Assessment for Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care to measure your practices around breastfeeding.
Contact Us to Get Started
Child Care Providers interested in improving their policies and practices can contact:
- Victoria Lee at Boulder County Public Health
Breastfeeding Friendly Child Care Programs in Boulder County
We are recognizing and promoting child care centers that have made breastfeeding support a priority. To receive the Breastfeeding Friendly designation, centers must:
- Meet all 5 criteria
- Commitment to Breastfeeding: Make a commitment to the importance of breastfeeding, including written policies and procedures and supporting staff’s decision to breastfeed.
- Education and Training: Train yourself and staff in the skills to support breastfeeding, require continued education updates at least once a year and provide education to families and visitors.
- Breastfeeding Friendly Environment: Create a culture and environment at your program that is openly supportive of breastfeeding.
- Communication: Build strong relationships and communicate regularly with your staff and families.
- Resources: Refer families to local breastfeeding resources, services, and skilled breastfeeding support.
- Meet with Child Health Promotion (CHP) program staff to complete a pre-assessment and develop an action plan based on the assessment results.
- Attend one training session.
- Complete the post-assessment and conduct an on-site review with CHP staff to establish that 5 criteria were met.