Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) licenses and routinely inspects all body art facilities in the county. Body art facilities include any business that provides tattoo or piercing services.
To Open a Body Art Facility
- Review the Boulder County Body Art Regulations
- Complete the Boulder County Body Art Application
and Plan Review
- Bring application to:
Boulder County Public Health
Environmental Health Division (downstairs)
3450 Broadway, Boulder
Offices & Buildings
If you have questions, please contact our office and speak with our body art inspector. Before you can begin work, you will need to have an inspection and get a license.
Remodeling a Body Art Facility
A formal plan review is required if you are opening a body art business in a newly constructed OR remodeled facility.
Bloodborne Pathogen Classes
Licensed In-home Body Art
Conducting body art procedures at your residence is only permitted if
- Your home is approved by Boulder County Public Health.
- Your home meets local zoning ordinances.
- You have appropriate business and tax licenses.
Tattooing and/or piercing out of your home for money or trade is illegal if you are not licensed.
Body Artists Employed by Licensed Businesses
BCPH licenses businesses, not individuals. The business owner holds the license and is responsible for making sure that all staff comply with BCPH regulations.
For More Information
- Operating a Body Art Facility in Boulder County
- Body Art Regulations