September 2, 2016
Andrew Barth, 303-441-1032
Lefthand Canyon construction update for the week of Sept. 5
Work ended at noon today for the week and will not resume until 6 a.m. on Tuesday morning, Sept. 6 Here's what you can expect to see in Lefthand Canyon next week between the hours of 6 a.m. and 6 p.m.:
US 36 to Olde Stage Road
- Excavation at the site where they're raising the road approximately 1.5 miles west of US 36 - Short delays for trucks and equipment pulling in and out
- Bridge construction approximately .25 miles east of Olde Stage - Work is almost complete - Shoofly and traffic signals will remain in place until it is safe to open the bridge, which will hopefully be by Friday, Sept. 9
- Road remains gravel or milled asphalt in this location
Olde Stage Road to James Canyon Drive
- Ongoing work at the gravel pile/"cut" approximately .25 miles east of James Canyon intersection
- Road is gravel
- Paving will continue in this area as only the bottom layer of asphalt has been applied
- Guardrail installation - Flaggers may be used to move cars safely around this work - expect short delays
- Gravel shouldering being laid on roadway edges
- A majority of the paving is complete in this stretch.
James Canyon Drive to Lee Hill Drive
- Ongoing bridge work just east of Lee Hill Drive
- Shoofly will remain in place until this work is complete
- There may be short delays as equipment is moved through the zone
- Paving will continue up to Lee Hill Drive
- Road is either gravel or milled asphalt. Some paving has been completed.
Lee Hill Drive to Lickskillet Road
- Excavation/Blasting approximately .5 miles west of Lee Hill - Expect longer delays when blasting is scheduled. No set schedule yet for the week as we are waiting for a powerpole/powerline to be moved.
- Paving will continue in several sections - Expect delays as flaggers will be used to move travelers safely around work zones
- Road is either gravel or milled asphalt in this stretch
To access Jamestown or Bar K area, I recommend using Lefthand Canyon from US 36 or Olde Stage instead of traveling over Lee Hill as a majority of work that will see significant delays will now take place west of James Canyon Drive.
I'd like to apologize to anyone who was stopped for a long period of time yesterday in the canyon. Conversations have been had with the contractor and unannounced, extended delays should not be seen for the duration of the project.
The contractor is currently optimistic that a majority of the roadwork will be complete by the end of September. All that should remain are the new culverts at Glendale Gulch and Lickskillet Road.
Thank you for your time, patience, and understanding. I hope you have a nice, relaxing holiday weekend.
Boulder County Transportation