If you have questions about property valuation and property tax, visit boco.org/2023Valuation.

Food Assistance – New Client
Corn on the cob
Affordable Rentals in Spanish page

Food Assistance: New Client (SNAP)

What is Food Assistance? Am I eligible?

Food Assistance, also called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), helps individuals and families buy food that is healthy and nutritious. Food Assistance won’t meet all of your food needs, but will go a long way toward a healthy diet for you and your family.

The program uses an EBT Edge card (similar to a debit or ATM card) which is accepted at most grocery stores and other food suppliers, and some farmers markets. With the card, you can purchase foods such as vegetables, fruits, bread, cereals, meat, dairy products, and more. Benefit amounts depend on family size, income, and certain living expenses.

Food Assistance - Health Care Assistance

Please note

If you’re eligible for food assistance, it’s likely you’ll also qualify for health care assistance. See our Health Insurance Assistance page or contact us at 303-441-1000 for information.

If you are eligible for food assistance, you may also qualify for services through the Employment First Program. Are you actively looking for work, attending school, working part-time, self-employed, or in need of other resources? See our flyer for information.

You may be eligible for Food Assistance if you:

  • Work for low wages
  • Are unemployed or work part-time
  • Receive Colorado Works/TANF benefits
  • Are elderly or disabled and live on a small income
  • Are homeless

In order to qualify for Food Assistance check income guidelines.

There are several ways to apply for benefits. Select the one option that is best for you:

  • Colorado PEAK is a state online service for Coloradoans to screen themselves and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs. Visit Colorado PEAK to see if you are eligible and to apply online.
  • Complete the Colorado Financial, Medical, and Food Assistance Application for Assistance (English), Solicitud (Espanol). Then Print the application and fax, email, or mail it to our office.
  • Fax: 303-441-1523
  • Email: imaging@bouldercounty.org

Apply in person at one of our offices:

  • Boulder Location : 3460 Broadway
  • Longmont Location: 515 Coffman Street


  • Once your application has been reviewed you will be contacted to schedule an interview.
  • If your application is denied, you still have additional options that we can discuss with you.

You can access public assistance benefits forms

Provide all that are applicable:


  • Driver’s License
  • ID Cards
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security number of each person for whom you are applying for Food Assistance
  • Proof of immigration status for non-citizens who are applying for Food Assistance

Proof of Income (pre-tax)

  • Pay stubs for the past two months
  • Wage statement from your employer
  • Benefit letter from Social Security
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Veteran’s administration or pensions

Child Support Payment (if you make these payments, they can be considered against your income)

  • Child Support Order
  • Separation Agreement
  • Child Support Records

Medical Expenses (if you’re 60 or older or if you receive federal disability benefits)

  • Doctor or Hospital bills
  • Prescription Receipts
  • Receipts for over-the-counter medication expenses if prescribed by a medical practitioner
  • Transportation costs to get to medical care

Child Care Expenses (if you are working, looking for work, or in training)

Questions about your case? call 303-441-1000.

Social Security Number:Food Benefits Credited to your EBT Quest Card
11st Day of each month
22nd Day of each month
33rd Day of each month
44th Day of each month
55th Day of each month
66th Day of each month
77th Day of each month
88th Day of each month
99th Day of each month
1010th Day of each month

Can I go online to check my benefits?

Yes, you can check them on the Boulder County Connect or Colorado PEAK or by visiting EBT Edge.

How long is my Food Assistance application valid?

Applications are valid for 60 days from the date the application is submitted to the office. If the application is denied for missed interview or failing to provide verifications, but the household manages to complete what is outstanding within 30 days from the date of application, the application date will be the date of application. If the household completes what is outstanding after 30 days from the date of application, the application date changes to the date they completed what was missing.

How can I turn in documents?

Always include your name, date of birth or social security number and CBMS case number if you know it.

  • Upload to Colorado Peak or Boulder County Connect
  • Email: imaging@bouldercounty.org
  • Fax: 303-441-1523
  • Mail:
    515 Coffman Street, Longmont CO 80501 or
    3460 Broadway, Boulder CO 80303

What is a Redetermination?

  • A form that needs to be completed every 6 months for most programs to make sure you still qualify for benefits
  • If it is turned in late, your benefits could be delayed up to 30 days, or a new interview may be necessary
  • Always include at least one month’s income for every working adult in the household (3 months if you are self-employed), and verify any reported changes
  • To complete your redetermination go to Colorado PEAK and click on Manage My Account

How can I ask a question about my case?

  • Chat through Boulder County Connect with a specially trained technician
  • Call 303-441-1000, to speak with a specially trained phone technician
  • Come in and ask to speak with our specially trained front desk technicians

What types of changes do I need to report:

  • Income
  • Household Composition
  • Address
  • Rent/Utility Expenses
  • Dependent Care/Medical Expenses
  • Resources

You can report your changes on Boulder County Connect, Colorado PEAK or Fill out a Change Report form and turn it in with proof of your change.

To complete your redetermination go to Colorado PEAK and click on Manage My Account or upload it to Boulder County Connect or turn the packet in to the office.

How will I know what day my benefits will be issued?

This Quest Card table explains that the last number of your Social Security Number determines what day of the month you receive Food Assistance:

Can I receive Food Assistance if I am a full time college student?

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for food assistance benefits. However, students may be able to get food assistance benefits if otherwise eligible and they:

  • Get public assistance benefits under Title IV-A program;
  • Take part in a State or Federally financed work study program;
  • Work at least 20 hours a week (not averaged);
  • Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;
  • Are taking care of a dependent household member who has reached the age of 6 but is under the age of 12, and does not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or
  • Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
    • A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998;
    • A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974;
    • An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act; or
    • An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
  • A single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get food assistance benefits if otherwise eligible.

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested
in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email: program.intake@usda.gov

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of
hotline numbers by State); found online at: SNAP Hotline.

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Contact Us

Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
TTY: 1-800-659-3656
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

Boulder Location

3460 Broadway
Map & Directions

Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Longmont Location

515 Coffman Street
Map & Directions
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - M-F

Housing & Human Services

Connect With Us