Private Roads, Culverts & Bridges
Private bridge destroyed in the 2013 Flood

Reconstruction of Private Roads, Culverts & Bridges

Private Access Permitting and Construction

The 2013 Flood damaged or destroyed many private water crossings (bridges and culverts). After the flood, Boulder County began issuing Flood Recovery Access Permits (FRAP). FRAPs are permits which allow owners to construct a temporary access to their property where it is feasible and safe. Eventually, all accesses constructed with or without a FRAP will need to obtain a permanent permit for the post-flood crossing, which may require that the access be replaced to ensure compliance with all requirements.

How to Obtain Permanent Access

The county is now issuing permits for permanent access where possible. In most cases, if the access does not include a water crossing, a Transportation Access Permit may be issued without additional work required. When the access involves a water crossing, several elements must be considered such as whether the road construction adjacent to the crossing has been completed and whether there are planned projects in the creek that may change how the creek flows.

Each crossing will require a site-specific analysis to determine if it is currently possible to issue a permit for permanent access or if the FRAP expiration date needs to be extended by the County Engineer. Residents should contact the Flood Rebuilding and Permit Information Center (FRPIC) at 303-441-1705 or for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can my temporary access be converted to permanent access?
Yes, but only if the temporary access meets all of the county’s permit requirements for permanent access.

I was told that I need to a hydraulic analysis of my access? Why?
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) requires all proposed development in the floodway show that the work will not cause an increase in the flood risk (the predicted water surface elevation of the 100-year flood cannot increase). A hydraulic analysis is required to demonstrate this.

My FRAP is expiring, but I am not able to obtain permits for permanent construction. What do I do?
Contact the FRPIC at 303-441-1705 or to determine if your FRAP expiration date can be extended.

What permits are required for a permanent bridge or culvert?
Permit requirements vary depending on the project. Potential permits may include, but are not limited to, a Floodplain Development Permit, Transportation Access Permit, and a Building Permit. Please contact the FRPIC at 303-441-1705 or for more information.

What should I do if I installed a new culvert or bridge but did not apply for a FRAP?
Please contact the FRPIC at 303-441-1705 or for an evaluation and determination of next steps. If the culvert or bridge qualifies, a FRAP may be issued if necessary.

Contact Us

Flood Recovery

Garry Sanfacon
Flood Recovery Manager
Katie Arrington
Flood Recovery Specialist


Rembrandt Building
Lower Level
1301 Spruce Street
Boulder, CO 80302
Map & Directions

Hours: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. M-F

Mailing Address

PO Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306