In November 2016, voters approved the Sustainability Tax ballot initiative, to allocate a portion of sales and use tax revenue to fund countywide sustainability infrastructure and programs.
In 2023, Boulder County set aside $405,000 of this tax fund for Local Food and Agriculture grants. Local farmers, agricultural producers, businesses, and non-profits implementing projects that benefit Boulder County’s food system and agricultural lands were eligible to apply.
This funding opportunity was available for use in five broad local food and agriculture areas:
- On-farm regenerative agriculture and soil health practices;
- Farmer/producer education, conferences, and workshops that focus on sustainable and regenerative agriculture demonstrations;
- On-farm and farmer’s market infrastructure;
- Sustainable local food and crop production;
- Programmatic and resource support for frontline farm workers and organizations.